18 years ago, I got into IT sourcing not to make a buck, but to fix the wrongs that I saw in building the backbone of the internet in the 90s. The world of large technology deals was (and, let’s face it, decades later still is) full of FUD, price discrimination, poor decisions, and outright corruption. I knew I could bring transparency, cut waste, and eliminate ill-conceived decisions. And I did – saving hundreds of millions and preventing bad decisions.
But what is the good that you do in that world? On a successful day, it’s taking a few million bucks from overpaid salespeople and egregious margins and giving it back to talented technologists to build great products. However, most days it’s just a transfer from one Fortune 500 to another – almost like Indiana Jones taking back the lost Ark and having it lost in the archives of the government.
That said, I still like that job of helping my friends get more out of IT. It pays the bills, including those for a brilliant team. No one is as good at it in areas like Broadcast/Satellite, CDN, hosting, and telco. We have clients I can be proud of – Hearst, eBay, Microsoft, Nike, Merrill Lynch, Sony, and dozens of other brands you know. More than that, I’ve made friends that have done business with me for decades and trust that only time buys. I really like it, so if you have a problem with your external IT OpEx, we will still fix it.
We’ve Done Well. Time to Do More Good
But then I got lucky and found that I don’t have to settle for a job I like – I can do one I love. We will shortly announce an important partnership with a group of the foremost authority and experience for social impact investment, measurement and reporting, who will help guide us on this journey. We have been doing IMPACT IT Sourcing & measuring CSR – corporate social responsibility for clients for 15 years, dating all the way back to the foundation of Clinton Global Initiative and our work with Aspen Institute and Socrates Society. And that is helping bring new socially-conscious ventures to the market. Our longer term intent is to drive IMPACT Sourcing to a new level from IT to broad spend, incorporating everything from sustainability and human rights to energy and vibrational indices, rewarding great companies with better and more business.
Some of these firms are using the blockchain to reconfigure how we do business, democratize access to finance, stabilize volatile fiat currencies, change healthcare, enable mindful spending, and most importantly, include social impact calculations into every aspect of their business. Here’s just a sampling of the organizations we are working with recently: (updated in real time on ramprate.com/tonyg)
- Block.one (investor) – Block.one designs free market systems to secure life, liberty, and property by publishing open-source software that is free for everyone to use. Raised $6b over 18 months, launched EO token and $1b in venture capital funds.
- Bluestone Real Estate Tokenization – co-founder – What Investing Becomes. This world-class team and cutting edge platform intends to shift and transact billions of dollars of real estate and most everything over the coming few years to sustainable and social impact-driven projects thought its unique assets.
- Castle Gathering – board director – “Wellspring gathers and focuses communities committed to accelerating exponential solutions benefiting the world.” We started at a castle in Italy and the rest will be history. Recently funded for expansion
- CBS Corporation (advisor) – Overseeing budget optimization and advanced technology refresh with a large team of experts across every IT Opex category from Broadcast, Satellite, Hosting, Telecom, Cloud, CDN, and Software.
- Codex Protocol (advisor) – Codex is a decentralized registry for assets like art, fine wines, watches and more.
- Crypto Advisory (shareholder, technology partner & investor) – picking out the most innovative and impactful ventures to connect with crypto-investors and philanthropists who want to impact a billion lives. We source and service technology and social impact projects with them, participate in due diligence and help their clients source the right infrastructure.
- EOS, Hashgraph, and other proof-of-stake platforms (advisor, investor or contractor) – replacing highly wasteful bitcoin mining- which we have been sourcing for 6 years- with a trust-based blockchain platform that is many orders of magnitude more efficient. We’re supporting node and block producer build-outs for these teams to ensure that these efficient platforms are trustworthy.
- Good Money (advisor) – Good Money is the world’s first digital banking platform where we make every customer an owner and allocate 50% of our profits to social and environmental impact. No greenwashing. On-ramp for consumer cryptoizing and real-time feedback on social responsibility of the dollars we spend and incentives to reward the companies that do good in the world.
- Noia Networks (advisor) Following that NOIA introduced the concept of Programmable Internet. NOIA combined Segment Routing protocol, Distributed Ledger Technology and built the proof of concept (PoC). NOIA released its digital commodity token in August to allow infrastructure providers and buyers to trade their capacity of Internet Transit in a Decentralized Internet Transit Exchange (DITEX). Social impact-driven at its core, enabling millions of people to subsidize or eliminate their mobile bill through routing internet traffic. Cool. Very cool.
- ORO (advisor) ORO has built consumer trust through its intelligent omnichannel interactive technology, designed to help consumers safely and easily navigate the exploding CBD wellness market. ORO’s expert systems combine with the ORO Medical Advisory Board, to offer comprehensive, evidence-based, peer-reviewed clinical guidelines. The result has been the rapid self-creation of a trusted community for consumers, with oro.co becoming the educated source for everything CBD.
- PRIVATE (advisor) – a platform for real-time worldwide communication and deployment of artificial intelligence bots to help us make sense of the flood of open data it opens, sourcing a new high-frequency trading network for crypto exchanges.
- PRIVATE (advisor) – innovations in addiction and PTSD treatment through a holistic framework with potentially radical results.
- PRIVATE (partner) – These Ag-Tech solutions increase crop yields by 200% or more. Increasing phytonutrient density and pathogen resistance, achieving and maintaining the perfect chemical balance eliminates the need for pesticides and fertilizers.
- Solo Sciences (board member) – understanding provenance and attributes of agricultural products as medicine to help conduct meaningful research on health impacts and potential benefits. Enables an anti-counterfeiting service that is becoming the standard.
- Unitus Ventures (partner) – India’s top social impact fund that has already impacted 1.2 million people.
- UpChannel–Spire Protocol (advisor) – connects carriers and smartphone manufacturers with their customers, enabling data-driven insight for emergency response systems, documenting identities, and establishing basic banking and financial protections in emerging markets.
- Yoti (partner) – the next generation of digital identity verification, helping more than a million people around the world encrypt IDs and share fewer data.
- Limitless MoCap – Limitless Motion Capture provides an all in one package for an easy to set up, laser based, no drift, real time output of the highest quality. Capture Every Nuance.
- StepTech – Next generation 46 patents laser motion capture powering location-based entertainment globally, a new gestural communication platform, real-time avatars and bonding the ” Future of Trust” though gesture DNA
- ZWIT – Zero Waste IT- skunkworks excess capacity cloud compute competitive platform with board members including Howard Rubin, Peter Gross, Tony Scott and Brad Rotter. Kubernetes abstraction layer for provisioning bare metal, enabling a new technology commons for global load balancing of compute
Additionally we are running various global confidential audit projects to ensure that no bad actors sneak in under the cover of the innovation and enthusiasm of the blockchain revolution (see Blockchain Audit Services) that not only weed out fraud, but allow miners and investors to connect with individuals that share their vision for positively impacting the world.
Within these blockchain-related projects, I work with my team as a mix of advisor, connector, auditor, and lodestar to ensure the venture is always pointed towards a positive social impact. So if you’re building a blockchain business that makes an impact and you need investors, connections, objective validation, or just friendly advice, get in touch.